2017 Proseminar: Theory and Applications of Relativity
Thursday, 3. DS. (11:10-12:40), SE2/201/H
Dr. H. Stöckinger-Kim (IKTP)
Preparatory meetings: 2 meetings for each talk, further details by email
Proseminar on the theory of relativity and its applications in cosmology and particle physics: description of postulates and some applications.
How to participate/apply?
- Please notify the organizer by email or in person, preferably before 6th April 2017. Please indicate the preferred topic(s) in your email.
- Alternatively simply show up in the first seminar on 6th April 2017.
About the presentation
- Every talk will last for 30 minutes and summarize a particular book chapter (and/or suitable additional material).
- Talks can be given either on the blackboard or by using slides (laptop and beamer will be provided).
Part 1: Special relativity: four-vector language and physical concepts
- Geometry of spacetime, Four-vectors, Minkowski space
- Simultaneity, transformation of time and space
- Lorentz transformation, length contraction, time dilation in physical and mathematical language
- Relativity of velocities, Doppler effect
- Momentum and energy in relativity and non-relativistic limit
- Examples and funny questions in relativity
Part 2: Proofs and applications
- Atomic/nuclear reactions, accelerators
- Muons in cosmic rays
- GZK paradox (Cosmic ray paradox)
- Twin paradox, GPS
Part 3: A grasp of General Relativity
- Curved space
- Robertson-Walker tensor
- Gravitational lensing
- Gravitational waves: LIGO experiment
- Fundamentals of Physics: Halliday and Resnick, v.4, 8th Edition.
- Feynman Lectures I
- Einstein’s Legacy: Julian Schwinger
- Special Relativity, A First Encounter: D. Giulini
- Spezielle Relativitätstheorie: W. Greiner
- Spezielle Relativitätstheorie, Thermodynamik: W. Nolting
- Particle Astrophysics: D. Perkins
- Created on
- 08/02/2017 at 07:59 PM
- Course language
- Course participants at present
- Link to course
- Catalogue entries
- Number of launches
- Last access by supervisor
- 12/04/2018 at 11:07 AM