Lecture: Prof. Franz Baader
Tutorials: Dr.-Ing. Stefan Borgwardt
Term rewriting systems can be used to compute in structures that are defined by equations. They are thus an important tool in automated deduction, algebraic specification, and functional programming. The course introduces important properties such as termination and confluence in the framework of abstract reduction systems, gives a brief introduction into universal algebra, and then concentrates on confluence, termination, and completion of term rewriting systems.
Prerequisites: Basic notions from a course on discrete algebraic structures would be helpful.
The lecture will be held online, but synchronous using a video conferencing tool. Videos recorded during the lecture will be made available afterward. It takes place twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays 16:40–18:10) and is accompanied by weekly tutorials (Wednesdays 14:50–16:20 in room APB/E005). Exercise sheets will be made available approximately one week in advance of the respective tutorial.
To participate in the course, you need to register for the course in OPAL. Links for accessing the video conference and other material will be provided for registered participants within OPAL.
The organizational details will be discussed in the first lecture, which starts on Tuesday, October 12, at 16:40. The first tutorial will take place on Wednesday, October 20, at 14:50 in room APB/E005.
For the tutorials, please follow the current regulations regarding the 3G rule, contact tracing, and wearing masks: https://tu-dresden.de/studium/im-studium/coronavirus/faq?set_language=en
This course can be used in the following modules:
- Bachelor-Studiengang Informatik: INF-B-510 (Vertiefung), INF-B-520 (Vertiefung zur Bachelor-Arbeit)
- Master-Studiengang Informatik: INF-BAS6 (Theoretische Informatik), INF-VERT6 (Theoretische Informatik)
- Master Computational Logic: MCL-TCSL (Theoretical Computer Science and Logic), MCL-PI (Principles of Inference), MCL-AI (Artificial Intelligence)
- Master Computational Modeling and Simulation: CMS-LM-ADV (Logical Modeling: ), CMS-LM-MOC (Logical Modeling: Models of Computation)
The lecture is based on: Franz Baader and Tobias Nipkow: Term Rewriting and All That. Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- Created on
- 07/09/2021 at 09:44 AM
- Course language
- Course participants at present
- Link to course
- Catalogue entries
- Number of launches
- Last access by supervisor
- 18/10/2021 at 10:16 AM